EPA established a group of “Chemicals of Concern” consisting of chemical groups raising serious health or environmental concerns that have been prioritized for EPA action. Action Plans have been published on the following groups:
* Benzidine Dyes Released August 18, 2010
* Bisphenol A (BPA) Released March 29, 2010
* Hexabromocyclododecane (HBCD) Released August 18, 2010
* Methylene Diphenyl Diisocyanate (MDI) and Related Compounds - particularly uncured MDI e.g., from spray foam, adhesives & coatings, released April 2011
* Nonylphenol and Nonylphenol Ethoxylates (NPEs) Released August 18, 2010
* Perfluorinated chemicals (PFCs) Released December 30, 2009
* Penta, octa, and decabromodiphenyl ethers (PBDEs) in products Released December 30, 2009
* Phthalates Released December 30, 2009. Note that the Action Plan specifically identifies 8 phthalates by CASRN for specific actions, but repeatedly identifies the entire class of dialkylortho-phthalates (or phthalate esters) as being of concern and targets of other actions.
* Short-chain chlorinated paraffins Released December 30, 2009 (note EPA is asssessing medium and long chain chlorinated paraffins as well under this action plan, so Pharos includes all chlorinated paraffins
* Toluene Diisocyanate (TDI) and Related Compounds - particularly uncured MDI e.g., from spray foam, adhesives & coatings, released April 2011
Action Plans were released for each of these groups of chemicals outlining plans to establish regulations requiring significant risk reduction measures to protect human health and the environment.